The needs of the average family have evolved, and adding a home office to your home is something that is sure to benefit everyone. Finding a space for the kids to complete homework and adults to organize paperwork or work remotely can transform your lives for the better. Without question, the unused guest room is the perfect place to bring those visions to life.
If you are going to complete this transformation, however, it’s imperative that you do it in style. Here are five top tricks to ensure that you do.
- Turn up the light. Given that the box room is one of the tightest spaces in the home, it’s vital that you make it brighter. Choosing a light color scheme will certainly help reflect the natural light. Meanwhile, translucent window films retain a sense of privacy and add to the décor. This improved energy should go a long way toward influencing your mindset for increased productivity. Besides, it’ll simply make the space more attractive.
- Make it comfortable. While the office is a place to be productive, you need to inject a sense of comfort too. If it’s cold, stuffy, or uninviting, you won’t want to use it. New flooring from Carpet One will make a huge difference to the atmosphere as well as the insulation. Meanwhile, adding a good HVAC system should also rank high on the agenda. While it needn’t be as comfortable as your lounge, positive surroundings can only serve you well.
- Avoid overcrowding. As one of the smaller rooms in the home, it’s vital that you prevent claustrophobic feelings. A clean and tidy space is key. Going paperless with bills and various work documents will certainly serve you well while good under-desk storage is vital too. You should also try to keep some of the desk surfaces free as you may need to write in a notepad or complete other tasks from time to time. If you want to decorate the space with personal items, such as photos, the walls are your friend.
- Invest in technology. It sounds a little obvious, but an office space without the right tech features will only ever provide limited results. If the internet doesn’t reach this room with a strong signal, WiFi boosters at Office Works offer the best solution. Hardware and software choices will vary from family to family while it may be necessary for each household member to have their own devices. Either way, the function of the room is just as crucial as the design.
- Embrace metal accessories. Gold, brass, and silver accessories can make a striking impact without causing major distractions from work. Lamps, waste bins, and ornaments are all great additions that needn’t break the bank. If nothing else, it brings a sense of class to the room, which can help transform your mentality to start seeing this as a professional environment. For a home-based freelancer or someone that will genuinely utilize this space, those rewards are huge.
Follow these simple steps, and you’ll be sure to make the most of your new home office for many years to come. The fact that it’ll add value to the property is merely a bonus.