Is It Possible To Get Fit After Having Kids? Why do most people believe that it’s impossible to get fit or look good in a bikini again after kids? Having kids changes your life and your body, yes. You have less time to spend on yourself, and you might notice that your body has changed in ways that you aren’t too keen on. However, having the attitude that you can’t change it is just plain defeatist! You can change almost anything that you’re unhappy with. Not that this means you should change – if you’re happy, that’s fantastic. If you’re not, then you know you need to do something about it.
Developing The Right Mindset
It’s important to develop the right mindset before you get started. Without the right mindset, it’s all too easy to start and give up like so many others before you. You need to get into a healthy mindset. One where you’re at peace with your body and how it has changed – hating your body will not get you results any faster, and could, in fact, slow your results down.
Read up on changing your mindset and figure out what you can do to start developing a better viewpoint today. Love your body whatever shape it is in. It created kids for you! It carries you around daily! You are able to exercise! Those facts alone are incredible.
Another crucial part of the mindset is knowing that this is something you can do. Now, this isn’t to say you should set out trying to achieve the same look you had in your teens. You’re a woman now. However, you can definitely become the fittest, healthiest version of yourself. You may not be able to completely get rid of stretch marks, but you can shape up. Set yourself goals and stick to them, knowing they are possible. There are many brilliant mums online who have got fit again after pregnancy and look incredible. Look at them, not so you feel bad about yourself, but so you can see that this is possible. Don’t look at celebrities, as what we see isn’t often the whole truth (Kim Kardashian looks fantastic, but she probably paid a lot of money to have things smoothed over).
Coming Up With A Plan
Now that you’re in the right mindset, you can come up with a plan! The best plans usually incorporate a little cardio to get your blood pumping, and some resistance training to build your strength and muscles. This will not make you big or bulky. You’ll get that coveted ‘toned’ look that people talk about! Here are the benefits of building muscle with weights:
- Women don’t have as much testosterone as men, meaning we get toned and lean rather than bulk up like the hulk. Ladies who do look like this have done so purposely, trained for years, and probably taken some performance-enhancing drugs too.
- You’ll speed up your metabolism, and the more muscle the body has the faster it burns fat and calories.
- You’ll become stronger.
- You’ll feel empowered!
Now, it’s important to note that just because we don’t build muscle like guys, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t train like them. Don’t listen to anybody that says we have to do high reps and light weights. That’s rubbish! It isn’t challenging and does very little if anything at all. Lifting heavy weights that actually challenge you is key to changing your body and actually making progress. Here are some tips:
- Start light to get a feel for what you can handle and get heavier every set if you can.
- Try to complete all of the reps in a set (you should be aiming for 8-15). If you can’t complete them with good form, you need to make sure you drop the weight a little. If you’re simply struggling with the last couple of reps, you could try to stick with the weight. You should not be finding this too easy!
- You will ache like hell the first few times you use weights. Buy salts and take hot baths to relax your muscles. You could even treat yourself to a message. It’ll go away eventually as you get used to working out.
Now you know what type of thing you plan should include, have a look for a good one. You could do your research on online trainers to see if they can devise one for you, but make sure you do your research to make a good decision. Some people are not qualified and the plans will be very ‘cookie cutter’. Stay away from reality stars plans.
Bonus Tips For Getting Fit After Kids
You might not want to be super toned. Maybe you just want to feel a little better about yourself. That’s fine! The tips here still apply. Here are some bonus pointers you can use to get fit after kids:
- Do it in the morning before everybody else is out of bed. You can start before anything else gets in the way and you start making excuses.
- Become aware of the excuses you’re making. It might sound harsh, but ‘I don’t have time’ usually just means that it isn’t a priority for you.
- Make sure you choose a plan from somebody with fitness certifications, or better yet, hire a PT for a little while as you get used to using weights and performing with the proper form.
- Commit to three times a week at first. Don’t try to do too much at once.
- Don’t do anything extreme.
- Make sure your nutrition supports your new routine. Teach yourself about protein, fat, and carbs. Eat a balanced diet. You can’t out-train a bad diet!
- Track your progress with pictures and measurements. Do not pay attention to the scale, as it can derail your mindset and progress. It’s inaccurate.
It is totally possible to get fit after having kids. Get started now!