- Keeping your house clean is one of the best ways to ensure that your home stays free of pests.
Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/zL2muhZbCFI (CC0)
Keep all of your food stored properly
It’s common for people to leave things like fruit in bowls and sugar out on their kitchen counters. This is bad practice and you should stop doing this if you want to deal with pests You must find various ways to store all of your food to make it impossible for pests to get to. So here’s some advice that you should be following:
- Don’t leave any food out in the open regardless of the location. This means don’t leave food out on your kitchen counter, your dining table, or even inside cupboards.
- Make sure you store any kind of loose foods in containers when possible. For instance, a biscuit or cookie tin is a great place to store random snacks and plastic containers should be used whenever possible.
- Storing loose food in the fridge is fine if you can guarantee that small pests like ants can’t get in. This isn’t common, but with some older fridges or a partially broken fridge, pests can get inside.
- If you spill any food or drink, clean it up immediately. This will prevent it from sticking to various surfaces which could attract smaller pests.
- Make sure areas where you store your food, such as the food cupboard or a pantry, are completely free of any holes or entry points that pests can use to get in. This can be difficult as critters like mice and even squirrels gnaw their way into your pantry if they’re really hungry. To counteract this, you can store the food in various types of containers.
As you can see, it’s rather easy to keep all of your food away from critters and pests. The reason you do this is simple; to cut off the food supply for all different types of pests. If you leave food in the open then they’re going to wreak havoc and eat all of the food they can get their little hands on. If you want to truly avoid pests in the future and also deal with existing pest problems, the best way to do so is to make sure they have no access to your food.
Other areas of food that you should be cleaning up
There are also some lesser-known and easily-forgotten areas where you might be leaving food out. For instance, if you have pets, then there’s a small chance that critters and smaller pests might invade your pet’s food bowl and start stealing from it.
You should also be clearing out areas of food waste such as your bins.
Lastly, don’t forget that pests also need a source of water to stay hydrated as well. Some pests are also drawn to water such as mosquitoes and cockroaches, so keeping areas dry can also avoid attracting them to your home.
Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/e9GyzrK2IkM (CC0)
Dealing with specific pests
By following the measures above, you can generally avoid most types of pests from invading your home. In a case like this, it’s best to know your enemy. If you need more information about a specific pest, we suggest speaking to experts that understand the pest that you’re currently dealing with. There may be very specific ways to help prevent pests from entering your home, such as using different kinds of deterrents.
In a worst-case scenario, you may need to use specially-formulated solutions to both get rid of the pests and prevent them from returning. Luckily, this is something that can easily be done by pest control experts or even with a little research. However, if you want a no-nonsense approach to pest control, it’s best to simply speak to an expert and have them get rid of the pest for you. This will provide the best results in the shortest amount of time. Again, this should be your last resort if you can’t get rid of them with basic preventative measures.